Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Episode 1: Let's Finally Make the First Post!

"You spent four years getting out of high-school, Marc. Why on Earth do you want to go back?"

     It has been roughly 3 years or so since I was first asked this question. My answer at the time was something along the lines of "It sounds like it'll keep my interested." From that point I would begin working towards a new goal. The path to this goal would require me to not only change the direction my life was heading in, but also push through my social barrier. Here I was, 31 (or 32??), high school drop out, possibly dead-end career, and partially goalless. The only things I had going for me was my wonderful fiance and my kid. Though not through the traditional means, I was lucky enough to be accepted as a father to my fiance's child. I can take a second and tell you: there is nothing more wonderful then to be accepted for such a great role. 

     It has been roughly 3 years, though it feels like longer. I blew through my remaining high school credits at the local adult education center, Pathways. Thanks to the on premise teacher Mr. Brown, the  school councilor, who would later become a friend, Mr. Abbiss, and the rest of the staff their I was able to graduate with valedictorian status a short while later. From there I began my college career at Great Basin's Pahrump location. Unable to take the full 15 credits due to time and financial restraints, it has taken me a little over two years to get where I am now. Fall Semester begins in a few weeks, but once it is completed I will be over my halfway mark. A little under 60 credits will remain between myself and my Bachelors of Education. 

     It has been roughly 3 years, and I can state the same answer. Teaching does sound like the type of job that would keep me interested. It would be something that would always be a challenge. It is always changing, evolving, and growing - something I wish to do as well along side of it. Finally, I know between all the meetings, issues, and drama also comes fun. I can do fun.

     This blog will follow me through the next few years and I become a student teacher and finally a teacher in secondary education. The next post I will possible begin to talk about classes that I have already taken towards this degree, and give you a better idea of where I am in the program. If you have  Look out world, I'm coming to teach some history!

No comments:

Post a Comment